Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Big Day

Yesterday I took Bridger to his pre-op at CMH. They checked all his stats and did a blood draw. To get a good vein they put a rubber band on his head and told me I probably wouldn't want to watch because they were putting needles in his head. I can't even watch them take my blood so I put my head down and cringed as I listened to him cry and fought every instinct in me that wanted to hold him close and comfort him and make it better. He didn't even cry on the first stick - he's such an easy going non-demanding guy - but the second time he had had enough. They had him wrapped up like a little taquito with his arms at his sides so he wouldn't move and he wasn't thrilled about that either.

Once he calmed down from the blood draw it was onto another room for a chest x-ray. Once again we had to strip him down and two nurses dangled him in front of the x-ray machine - another thing he wasn't too happy about. Finally, after 2 1/2 hours we could go home. But after I'd been gone 10 minutes they called me to tell me that one of his blood samples had clotted and they couldn't spin it so I needed to come back to the hospital to have it re-drawn. Huge bummer. The minute I layed little B on the butcher paper he started to wail knowing what came next. We were so happy to leave almost an hour later and head home. I was already sick of the hospital and we hadn't even gotten to the surgery day yet.

Todd arrived in KC from Chicago on time. Sadly his mom got stuck in Denver waiting for her plane which was stuck in the freak snow storm in Las Vegas. The ironic thing is we almost opted to connect her through Vegas because we were worried it would be bad weather in Denver. Instead Denver was clear and Vegas was the issue. You just never know with flying this time of year. But luckily Trudi and Todd arrived home at 1:30 a.m. and we were glad that all worked out.

We arrived at Children's Mercy Hospital at 7:15 this morning and checked Bridger in. Because of limited space they cut off the last letter in his middle name and had his name listed as Bridger Eva and people kept asking us if he was a girl! The nurse checked his blood pressure, weight, length, temperature, oxygen saturation and listened to his lungs. He was happy and wiggly through most of it and sucking on his hands because he couldn't eat past 3 a.m. and was probably starving. They brought in a sassy peach colored mini hospital gown and we got him ready for surgery. We met with 2 of the nurses assisting doctor Lofland and with the anesthesiologist. She thought Bridger seemed slightly dehydrated because they had a hard time getting his blood pressure and accurate pulse, so they will be extra careful with the anesthesia. We got to hold him and play with him a little longer and then gave him to the nurse and watched with teary eyes as they carried him down the hall to surgery. Now we're in the surgery waiting room hanging out until it's over.



****************************
9:00 a.m. The nurse just came out to tell us that Bridger was sleeping and intubated and they were hooking up the IV's and all the other necessary lines and machines. He's doing well so far.
****************************
9:30 a.m. Nurse checked in again and they are starting surgery and putting him on the heart/lung machine.
****************************
10:30 a.m. She told us the actual surgical repair of Bridger's heart is complete and they are in the process of getting him closed up and ready for ICU. So far, so good.
****************************
11:40 a.m. The nurse informed us that the surgery was complete and that he would be moving to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) in about 20 minutes. She said it would be about an hour before we could see him, so we went to the cafeteria. Fortunately, the only disappointment of the day has been the dry chicken and cold pizza.
****************************
1:00 p.m. We got to see our baby! It's amazing the technology that goes into this process. Bridger has no fewer than seven lines feeding into a jugular catheter. He also has a line entering in through both his ankles and wrists. One was to provide extra blood (a transfusion) during and immediately after the surgery. The most dramatic part of his appearance is the blood-soaked bandage on his chest and the tube that allows his chest to drain. It should gradually become more pink and then clear as he heals. He will remain intubated today and the doctors will begin waking him up tomorrow morning. Then they can remove the ventilator as he begins breathing on his own. The staff, so far, has been very attentive and informative. We're grateful to be past this, the greatest hurdle. Because everything went well and there wasn't any excessive swelling, they were able to close his chest right after the surgery - Yay!

Jana saw Bridger for a total of about 10 seconds, then sat down and put her head between her knees. The sight of blood makes her quite queezy. So, here you have a picture of both my babies, down and out.
.
Bridger is already looking pink! We didn't realize how un-pink he was until they fixed his heart. The medical staff commented that they could finally feel his pulse, where before it was very weak or absent. You can even seen his little heart beating under the surface of his chest, more so than before.

We appreciate all the comments you have left and the phone calls/text messages of support! If we don't pick up the phone, it might be that we're in Bridger's room, where cell phones have been banished. We're more likely to get your comments quicker at this point. That's all for today. We'll likely post again tomorrow.

17 comments:

bgf63 said...

Our family has been praying for your little angel(and your other 3 at home), the surgeons and other medical staff and of course you and Todd. I have wondered all morning how things were going and how I could find out. I am glad that I decided to check my e-mail and thankful when I saw how we would be able to keep in touchand that things were going well. My heart and hopes and prayers are with ALL of you. The emotions I have felt in the pass with even just minor surgeries of my angels come to mind and my eyes, heart become full. My prayers are full of hope and my thoughts are with you. PLEASE let me know of ANYTHING that we
could help with. Love, Tammy Featherston

Cheryl said...

He is too cute!!! Once again we hope that all is going well and Tyler and I are enjoying seeing your updates. The nurse carrying him off made me a little teary eyed...I'm sure it's hard to let him go right now and very difficult not being with him! We'll be thinking of you. Aslo, Heidi sends Bridger a big kiss and hug!!!!
Love,
Tyler, Cheryl, and girls.

Anonymous said...

I have been out all morning running around and couldn't wait to get home and check my email, I have done nothing but think of Bridger all morning, I can't wait to see him and give him a big kiss when he gets home. Camryn has been worried about him all morning. If your Mom/Mother-in-law needs anything I am right across the street! Big hugs!!
Love
Crissy and Camryn

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear things are going well. We have been thinking and praying all day. Please give Bridger a kiss from us. Let us know if you need anything.

Love,

Angie,Jason,Megan,Tyler,Jenna, and Kylie

Denise said...

Whew! Very encouraging update. Jana, I can't blame you, I think I'd be prostrate about now. I'm so happy it's going well! Now for a quick and full recovery.

P.S. that picture with all the tubes and wires is heartbreaking and awe-inspiring at the same time. Medical science is AMAZING.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so used to seeing older people immediately after surgery, it is so amazing howlittle all the wires and tubes are on the little guy! He is such a trooper. Jana, I get the whole not being able to handle, "blood" I may be a nurse but after Sean's surgery and looking at the pics of Bridger, I didn't handle it well either. It is a hall new ball game when it is your own. Be strong!! I know you are!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed that you have this so well documented. It makes us all feel more connected and a part of it all. He is one amazing guy! And you are such great examples to us all. Our love, thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Love, Melissa Stracener

Melinda & Emily said...

Thank you so much for the detailed updates! We love and miss you guys and are praying for you! (Jack was super upset when Conner wasn't at the Taylor's house. He misses his favorite cousin!)

Melinda

Anonymous said...

Our family has been praying for yours. The boys will be happy to know the surgery went so well.
We will keep the prayers up and you guys keep holding each other tight.
This whole blog is so nice :)

All our love,
The Millers
John, Wendy, Samantha, Thomas, & Joseph

Anonymous said...

How many lives little Bridger and the Wangsgards have touched for good. How much we love your family. In some strange way, it's probably better that he go through this while so tiny, maybe he won't remember anything about this big event in his life. A little defining moment for Bridger, the little trooper. God bless and know your always in our prayers. Lawhon Family Dec. 18.08

Janell said...

It is so wonderful to hear everything went well! Thank you for sharing. You've been in our thoughts and prayers today. Janell and family

Christy said...

I am so glad to here Bridger did great. The hardest part is behind you now. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Now I will pray he is home for Christmas, you won't believe how fast our babies heal.

Dave & Karissa Hardman said...

So glad everything went perfectly. What a little trooper. It is amazing how much he has gone through so far in his little life. He looks so healthy and beautiful. We just love him so much. We love you guys and appreciate you keeping us informed back home in Utah. Our prayers are still pouring out for all of you.
Love you!! So happy he is done with surgery! :)
Love,
Karissa & Dave & Carter

Heather said...

Wow! We just got your Christmas card. Seeing that the surgery was today I didn't want to waste anytime checking your blog. I'm glad it went well. We have some friends in our ward that will be doing this very surgery with their little guy in a couple of weeks. Good luck with everything. We'll be praying for you.
Oh, and Matt says hi.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wangsgards! I am so happy he is doing so well. What a little angel. I know your hearts were streched to their limits today. Little Bridger is so blessed to have you for his parents! Thank you for helping us feel a part of this and want you to know how much I love you all. Please give him a kiss for me. I am so excited this is over for your family. Now you can just enjoy watching him at his best. I love you guys and you are in my prayers. Love, Melissa Cochran

Unknown said...

Way to go Bridger! I am so glad to hear the heart surgery went well and Bridger is recovering. I am sorry we will miss your family this weekend at the DSG Holiday Party. I will come by the hospital early next week to visit.

Amy Allison
Executive Director
Down Syndrome Guild of Greater Kansas City

Paparazzi Boutique said...

Good job Bridger. You have the best, most loving parents anyone could...they will take care of you. We look forward to hearing many great stories about you.