Monday, December 22, 2008

Day Five: Movin' On, Movin' Up!

I wanted to start today out with a beautiful poem my mother wrote for us. She e-mailed it to me the day before Bridger's surgery. It's been so hard for her not to be here during this difficult time, and as she was thinking about this and praying in the temple these words came to her:

THE HEART OF AN ANGEL
Your heart is beating softly
As you slumber on my breast,
My angel child, who came to earth
Not needing any test
****************
Your heart, as small as a robin's egg
Came needing some repair,
So Bridger, all who love you
Now join in fasting and prayer.
*****************
How I pray for those skilled hands
That I must trust you to,
That this little heart may be made whole
Before this day is through.
*****************
I'm grateful for another healer
Who all broken hearts can heal,
Through the gift of His Atonement -
I know that power is real
******************
I long for the day I can teach you
In ways that you'll understand
About Heavenly Father who loves you
And the Savior, who holds your hand.
*******************
In my mind I see your valiant spirit,
And in my mother's heart I know,
That all our hearts will grow in love
As we bask in your celestial glow.
*******************
For you are love in its purest form
Fresh from its purest source
And, as your parents, we thrill to know
That you will stay the course.
******************
You'll never break a commandment,
You'll never break our hearts,
And every day we'll learn from you,
How to do our part.
*********************
How honored we feel, that the Father
Would entrust you to our care.
There's so much that you will teach us,
In the days we'll have to share.
*********************
So slumber on my little one
Sweet peace has calmed my fear,
Your tiny heart will beat strong and true
Next time I hold you near.
***********************
.
She captured so beautifully the feelings I felt and made me tear up as I read it. First, because it was so touching and second, because I was so proud of my technologically-challenged mom for actually figuring out how to send an e-mail! We are excited to see her and my dad on Friday.
.
10:45 a.m.
Todd's Update: Okay, things are going REALLY well. We're just waiting for word from the Cardiac Unit that they have a bed and nurse for Bridger. He is guzzling the breast milk that we have been freezing for him. His GI system is back in operation, filling diapers left and right. His leg IVs are gone. His right arm IV is gone. His central jugular artery line is gone (procedure caught in picture). His chest tube is gone. His bandage is gone. Pretty soon the PICU staff will be saying, "Bridger is gone!" Yay! Then we can begin to bug the next nurses and doctors about how soon he can go home.
.
Oh yeah. I just met David Cook, 2008 American Idol winner.
.
He and Chiefs tight end, Tony Gonzales, were holding a spontaneous press event this morning for the kids in the hospital. So of course, Bridger asked me to attend in his stead. Everything was all laughs and high-fives. But when I confessed to David that we had been rooting for both Davids (Archuleta and Cook) during the competition last Spring, I could sense the tension between us. Fortunately, when he learned that our family is from both Utah and Blue Springs, he cut me some slack. The tension disappeared. This obstacle in our friendship seemed to have brought us closer together. We're on good terms again. He's cool with it. Everything's good. We're in a good place. Back to BFFs.
.
Each of them signed the legs of a Tony Gonzales doll for Bridger. He seems to like it. Jana is going to be quite upset when she discovers she missed this event. I haven't called her yet. I don't think I will. :-)

1:15 p.m.
He's outa the PICU! Bridger's new address in the cardiac unit is Floor 4, Room 14, Children's Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO. His next address will be Home. Isn't that a beautiful word? Home!

The doctor said Bridger's discharge could be as early as TOMORROW, but likely in a couple days. Let's see, 'a couple' usually means two. Two plus 22 is... the 24th! Things are lookin' good. Here's Bridger in his new digs. Still looks and smells like a hospital. Fortunately, though, there is a private bathroom and sleeping accommodations right in his room, so Mom or Dad can stay close. Besides the fabulous health care, however, I would say the next best benefit of CMH is the free high-speed wireless Internet access. Wouldn't you?!

8 comments:

SNH said...

Hooray for Bridger! What a stud! That is just awesome that he is doing so well.

Todd, that commentary on your David Cook experience is some of your best blog work to date! Well done, my friend.
Shayne

Anonymous said...

Through this experience of Bridger's surgery, you have tripled all previous blog entries to date.

Not quite, but not too far off.

It's awesome that he is progressing so well.

Unknown said...

YEAH Bridger on recovering so quickly! Double yeah that your dad got to meet Tony Gonzalez and David Cook. I love the poem that grandma wrote. As a Latter Day Saint I couldn't agree more with the sentiments she put on paper regarding Bridger's purpose here no earth. Hope to see your family in the hospital tomorrow when I come to visit a few DSG families.

Amy Allison
Executive Director
Down Syndrome Guild
of Greater Kansas City

Lois said...

What a beautiful poem. I am very impressed with your mom I didn't know she had this talent also. I really want to grow up to be just like her.
Bridger looks so good. I really want to just sqeeze him. He is such a trooper through all this. Keep up the great blogging.
Have an awesome day!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Bridger. I am so happy to hear how well he is doing. What a wonderful Christmas present. How exciting to meet David Cook and Tony Gonzales.

The poem is just beautiful.

Love,

Angie,Jason,Megan,TYler,Jenna, and Kylie

Denise said...

That poem is just -- sob!

WTG Bridger! Out of ICU, and almost ready to go home! What a very merry Christmas this will be.

Hey Todd, I hope you told David Cook to do something about his hair. I like the guy (and didn't vote for either David because I couldn't make up my mind), but really...dude...hair. As his BFF, you should probably be the one to talk to him about it.

Dave & Karissa Hardman said...

Yay for Bridger!! This is all so great - I hope you will all be heading home soon. I love you guys!! So happy that the hospital experience is almost over for you. Hugs & Kisses!
Love,
Karissa, Dave, & Carter

Colton Anne said...

Yeah that Bridger is doing so well! We had a great experience at CMH with the staff and everything! You're in a good place. And CMH wireless was great! We loved having it during Cora's stay at 5 weeks. Jana, since you are nursing, if you are able to get a tray...you have to order the oreo milk shake! I couldn't get enough of those when we were there..and I'm not going to lie, Nick had some (I mean a bunch) too! They are a bit of heaven if you like that kind of desserts!